Protective Styling Hair Care Tips Using Janomi Products
I realized that I hadn't updated the protective styling tips in two years! Our product line has grown to improve your natural hair health, so here goes!
What is a protective style? A protective style is a low manipulation and low maintenance style that allows your hair to flourish by minimizing damage and breakage, especially to your delicate ends.
Fall is fast approaching, and it's my favorite time to wear protective styles! I tend to have fun with my hair and throw caution, as well as my strict hair regimen, to the wind during summer months. When the weather starts to get cold and dry, I protect my hair from the elements as much as possible. I'm a New Yorker, so it's pretty much winter from November to April. During the cold months, my mega puff and fab twist outs take a back seat to an array creative protective styles. I used to prefer short term protective styles, like buns and flat twists, over long term styles that are worn for weeks or even months at a time. However, I've found myself wearing crochet braids for up to 8 weeks a few times a year. Short term styles allow for versatility and easy healthy hair maintenance, but you can also be kind to your hair and retain moisture while wearing long term styles. Check out the protective styling tips below.
1. Be kind your edges - Don't wear protective styles that pull your hairline too tight at the roots. Up do's should only be worn for a week at a time. If you're getting your hair braided by a professional, be sure to communicate any discomfort along your hairline to your stylist. Keeping your edges moisturized with an oil such as, Janomi Essential Hair and Scalp Oil, will help maintain full edges, as well. Don't allow the stylist to detangle your hair with a fine tooth comb. Our Sandalwood Detangling Comb is great to use on wet or dry hair.
2. Remember to Moisturize - The cold can dry your hair out. Synthetic hair used for braids and other extensions can also contribute to dryness. Spritz your hair daily with a water based leave-in conditioner like our Janomi Citrus Juice Leave-in Conditioner. The water, aloe vera juice, avocado oil, and tamanu oil provide great moisture and conditioning. Steam from the shower or a hair steaming tool are great for adding moisture to your real hair while wearing long term protective styles.
3. Maintain a Healthy Scalp - You might not get to wash your hair as often as you like while wearing long term protective styles, but you can still keep your scalp clean. Rub a wash cloth with a little shampoo on your scalp and in between braids to remove build up. Diluted apple cider vinegar is also an option for cleansing the scalp. Apply a natural oil with anti-fungal properties, like Janomi Essential Hair and Scalp Oil, to moisturize your scalp and to prevent itching caused by bacteria and build up.
4. Seal your ends - One of the main reasons to wear a protective style is to retain length by protecting your ends. Your ends are the oldest part of your hair, so they need the most tlc. Seal the moisture into your ends with an oil (Janomi Essential Hair and Scalp Oil) or cream (Janomi Avomango Styling Butter) to prevent breakage caused by friction against your clothes when wearing two strand twists and braids. Coat your ends with an oil or cream before tucking them away in buns and other up do's.
5. Take a break, and don't over do it - Don't wear box braids, sew-in weaves, and crochet braids for longer than 8 weeks. Even if the style still looks good, you want to avoid the tangling and matting of your real hair that can be caused wearing a style for too long. Give your hair a chance to breathe in between protective styles. It's never a good idea to continuously wear long term protective styles back to back. Lack of proper daily care and the weight of added hair takes a toll on your tresses. Take the time to wash, moisturize, maintain a healthy hair regimen, and assess the overall health of your hair before adding hair for braids or sew-ins again. In the meantime, try a funky short term protective style to switch up your look.
Happy Styling! Now go retain that length!
I've been busy! After much success with Janomi Essential Hair and Scalp Oil, and the addition of the Janomi Jumbo Bonnet; I'm finally ready to launch a new natural hair product! Be on the look out for the Janomi Citrus Juice Leave-in Conditioner on our website before Christmas. Yippee!Once again, I formulated and observed this [...]
Hey Janomi Gems! Just a quick blog post to keep you abreast of the great things happening this fall. It's September 1, and we are starting the month off with a bang! Visit our Instagram page, @Janomi_Hair, to enter the TWO give away contests we're sponsoring this week to double your chances of winning a 4 [...]
Protective Styling Hair Care Tips
What is a protective style? A protective style is a low manipulation and low maintenance style that allows your hair to flourish by minimizing damage and breakage, especially to your delicate ends.Fall is fast approaching, and it's my favorite time to wear protective styles! I tend to have fun with my hair and throw caution, as well as my strict hair regimen, [...]
How to Use Janomi Essential Hair and Scalp Oil
Janomi Essential Hair and Scalp Oil was created as an all purpose hair oil. Why have multiple bottles taking up space when you can have everything you need in one bottle? See below to improve your healthy hair regimen today!Janomi Essential Hair and Scalp Oil is great for the following:Scalp massage to promote growth (You’ll [...]
My Return to Natural
Hello Janomi Gems,Welcome to my first blog post! As the founder of Janomi Hair, LLC, I'd like to feel close to my clients and to let you know we're on this natural hair journey together. Thanks for reading my story!I first returned to natural in 2001. I had been wearing braids (which we now call [...]